Monday, April 4, 2011

Almost One!

This Friday is Amelia's first birthday. I cannot believe it's been a year, but then you look at photos, or interact with her, and it's clear that she's no longer a baby. She is a toddler with her own opinions and agenda. That agenda frequently involves dropping food from her high chair or going face first into Teddy. She's walking, albeit like a drunken sailor sometimes, and refuses to hold our hands on the sidewalk. Apparently we're already embarrassing or she's very independent. I have no idea where she got that from. :)

She loves books and will often bring a book to you, put it in your lap and say "Wead," which we're taking as Read. She only makes it to the end of the book about half the time before she's off to get another book. She has favorite books, and will act out some of the noises. My personal favorite is when she howls like the dogs in her book because Teddy looks at her in a very confused way. She can be shy, but only for about 3 minutes. Then she wants you to hold her or play with her. As Grandfather, Grandmodge, and Grandma are all making appearances this week, I don't think that's going to be a problem.

She loves having books and her stuffed animals in her crib. Thankfully she hasn't tried to climb out yet, but once she does there will be plenty in there to help her boost herself out. She has reached a height where she can pet Teddy from inside her crib when she stands on her tip toes. I know the AAP just recommended that kids stay rear-facing until they're 2, but considering she's already got her feet touching the seat, I think we're only going to get a few more months before we need to move her. She has her doctor's appointment next Monday, so I'll have the stats then, but I think she's going to be off the charts for height again.

2 comments:

  1. Margaux's feet have been touching for months. She just crosses them. It hasn't been a problem and the stories about internal decapitation have me determined to keep her rear facing! I can't believe she is almost 1! Hope you have grand party plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be there for cupcakes and booze... I miss that kid like you wouldn't believe.

    Oh, and you guys, too. :P

    ReplyDelete