Thursday, April 15, 2010

One Week Old (plus a couple of days)

It has been a very busy 11 days for Amelia.
She naps.
She has her tummy time.

She sleeps some more, this time in weird positions.

She tries to suck on her hand. She has succeeded in getting it into her mouth multiple times, but never for very long.

She tries to sleep during tummy time.

And she even had her first bath. There has been less screaming with each bath, but there was quite a bit for the first one.

For the most part we are doing well. Amelia is a good sleeper (which is a wonderful gift), and she's a fairly happy baby. My mother stayed with us the first week she was home, and it was great to have an extra pair of hands, and another person to take some of the shifts with her so we could all get a good amount of sleep.

Matt has taken to parenthood wonderfully. He's even changing the majority of the diapers, which might be a better gift than diamonds right now. He also has managed to watch some sporting events, including Red Sox games, without yelling too much at the TV while Amelia is in the room. And he looks so adorable holding his baby girl.

I am doing pretty well. Unfortunately I had some complications with the birth that while not serious, are making it take some time to fully heal. I still find myself staring at Amelia and marveling that she's really here. I've also been greatly amused at how squirmy she is. Even when she's sleeping it's hard for her to stay still for more than a few minutes. It makes me feel justified in all the complaining I did about the future Rockette I was gestating.

And the last member of the family has adjusted well to Amelia. Teddy is taking her role as protector very seriously. Whenever she enters a room she needs to know where her baby is. When Amelia gets really upset (see First Bath above) Teddy will helpfully start whining to let us know the baby is crying. I think she's looking forward to all the table scraps that Amelia will be giving her in the upcoming months and years.

And I don't care if it's gas, it's still the greatest thing I have ever seen.

3 comments:

  1. A newborn is a wonderful thing for a sports fan. Especially when your beloved east coast team is on a west coast swing.

    Glad to hear everyone is adjusting well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Can't get enough.

    ReplyDelete