Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Camp Nana and Poppy - The VA Edition

Over the long weekend my mother and step-dad came took advantage of the holiday to come out and spend some Amelia time. Since Amelia hadn't seen them since Hawaii we put their pictures up on the fridge so she would start to recognize them.
Side note - Amelia is obsessed with knowing who everyone in a photograph is. My mom brought out a picture my Grandfather had given to her of his mother when she was a teenager. We told Amelia once that it was Mimi Daddy, and every time she walked by she pointed out Mimi Daddy.
I had asked my mom to bring SOME of the train sets my brothers had when they were little and she brought all of it. How that suitcase wasn't overweight I'll never know. I think when you travel with a pastor your luggage has angel wings or something. Once Amelia warmed up to them, which took about 20 minutes, and they broke out the train set the rest of the weekend all we heard was "Nana, Poppy, choo-choo trains." Since the train set up better on hard surfaces instead of carpet, it's a good thing that we don't have a dining room table. It's become the Isle of Sodor. It also has a Golden Gate bridge, because you have to drive over the bridge to go visit Nana and Poppy.

Nana, Amelia and Poppy

Golden Gate Bridge with a very heavy load. My mom taught Amelia "Earthquake" for when she would knock them over. Amelia would also take off the top of a bridge and then look at it and say "Not working, broken" with her hands up in the air like she has no idea why it isn't working.

Most of the layout, including ferry boats, which were bought after my mom, Will and Roger had to spend a night sleeping on a ferry boat in Seattle. My cousin and I had gone back earlier and spent the evening trying to burn down the cabin with Jiffy Pop.

While I took one of many naps (I leave for Las Vegas and the most chaotic week of my year on Saturday and was stockpiling sleep), everyone else went to the park. Amelia went on everything but the tallest slide, and did almost all of it by herself.


We also had dinner with extended family. My Aunt Elin is my mother's older sister, and we got to see her, her husband, both sons, her daughter in law, and both grandsons. The older grandson, Erik, is only about 6 months older Amelia. Erik and Amelia could not be more different. Erik likes to survey the situation a couple of times before getting involved. Amelia will jump in head first without a helmet. But this time was the first time they actually played together (as much as 2 year-olds can) and didn't run away at the sight of the other one. They bonded over a love of Thomas the Tank Engine and by the end of the evening they were comparing pj's. I think Erik won because his had dogs and Amelia's only had stripes.
On Saturday we're all off again. I'm off to Las Vegas for a week and Matt is taking Amelia to FL for Round 2 of Camp Grandma and Grandpa. He's going to come back up, work for a few days, then come out and join me in Las Vegas. We'll get almost 24 hours to ourselves before our plane takes off and we're back on our way home.



3 comments:

  1. Lisa and Kent look fantastic!The picture of the three of them is wonderful.
    Can't wait for Round 2 of FLA camp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing the empty room with nothing but the train set on the floor reminds me of Gloria and Bill's first apartment, with a double parlor. The front room was nothing but Star Wars. We called it the Hoth Planet. Remember, Matt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My mom taught Amelia "Earthquake" for when she would knock them over." BWAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete